- Class 45
- Practice 12
- Independent work 93
Lecturers and associates
Light absorption and emission; Einstein coefficients; Selection rules for absorption and emission.
Absorption coefficient; Population inversion.
Line profile and half-width of spectral lines; Lorentz model; Doppler broadening of spectral lines.
Electromagnetic waves in resonator; Density of modes; Modes of open resonators.
Different types of resonators; Fabry-Perot resonator; Fundamental Gauss mode.
Threshold condition; Amplification and losses in resonators; The quality factor of resonators Q; Feedback amplification in lasers.
Single mode and multimode lasers. Selection of single modes by optical prism; Grating and Fabry-Perot etalon. Spectral resolution of optical elements; Characteristic of laser light (directionalit, space and time coherence).
Pulse lasers (Q switching, mode-locking, gain switching).
Gas lasers; Physical principles of atomic (He-Ne), ionic (Ar+ ion), molecular (CO2, N2), chemical and excimer lasers.
Solid state lasers; Physical principles of crystal and glass lasers (ruby, Nd-Yag).
Physical principles of fiber lasers; Resonators in fiber lasers.
Physical principles of fiber lasers; Resonators in fiber lasers; Physical principles of semiconductor lasers; Physical principles of free electron and x-ray lasers.
Holography; Applications of holography.
V. Henč-Bartolić, L. Bistričić (2001.), Predavanja i auditorne vježbe iz fizike lasera, Element
Karl F. Renk (2012.), Basics of Laser Physics For Students of Science and Engineering, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2012., Springer Berlin Heidelberg
Wolfgang Demtröder (2010.), Atoms,Molecules and Photons, Springer Berlin Heidelberg
Online education during epidemiological measures
- Study program duration
- 6 semesters (3 years)
- Semester duration
- 15 weeks of active teaching + 5 examination weeks
- Total number of ECTS points
- Bacc.ing.comp (Bachelor of Science in Computing)
Minimal learning outcomes
- Describe the interaction of light with matter using classical and semi-classical theories
- Explain the operation of laser resonator and laser theshold
- Explain the special properties of laser radiation compared to more conventional sources
- Explain the meaning of Q-switching and mode-locking in puls lasers
- Explain how the choice and characteristics of laser materials and resonator determine the ultimate behaviour of a laser
- Analyze the properties of laser and determine possible applications
- Evaluate the multi-disciplinary nature of engineering systems