Fundamentals of Power Electronics
- Class 45
- Practice 18
- Independent work 87
Fundamentals of Power Electronics
Lecturers and associates
- Full Professor PhD Željko Jakopović
- Assistant Professor PhD Marinko Kovačić
- Full Professor PhD Viktor Šunde
Fundamentals of power electronics energy conversion; Types of power electronics energy conversion; Conversion quality indicators - efficiency, power factor; Power converters classification.
Ideal semiconductor switch; Semiconductor devices classification based on controlabillity; Ideal semiconductor switch operating quadrants; Semiconductor switch idealized model; Four-quadrant semiconductor switch.
Topology and topological state of a converter; Topology development examples.
Basic power electronic circuits; Diode rectifiers; Phase-controlled rectifiers.
Switching and commutation in semiconductor switches; Passive components as the energy storage; Inductive energy storing and release, the freewheeling diode.
DC-DC converters without galvanic isolation; Passive filters for power electronic converters.
DC-DC converters with galvanic isolation.
Inverters; Harmonic analysis; Electromagnetic compatibility.
Origins of the distorsions in the power electronic converters; Power electronic converter influence on the load and on the grid; Electromagnetic compatibility in power electronics.
AC-AC converters; Energy flow in power electronic circuits.
Semiconductor switch structure; Power semiconductor devices losses; Hybrid semiconductor swithes; Semiconductor switch selection based on the converter's topology.
Application of power electronics in electrical grids; Application of power electronics in transportation.
Application of power electronics in automation and the process industry; Application of power electronics in renewable energy sources.
- Electrical Circuits
- Methods of Measurement
- Fundamentals of Mechatronics
- Power Electronics Practicum
- Electromagnetic Transients and Electromagnetic Compatibility
- Electromechanical Systems
- Electrical Machines Control Practicum
- Metrology Fundamentals
- Modern Physics and Applications in Electrical Engineering
- Fundamentals of Electrical Drives
- Electric Facilities
- Electromechanical and Electrical Conversion
- Electronics 1R
J. Kassakian, M. Schlecht, G. Verghese (2000.), Osnove učinske elektronike - Topologije i funkcije pretvarača (prijevod), Graphis
Daniel W. Hart (2006.), Introduction to Power Electronics,
V. Šunde, Ž. Jakopović, Z. Benčić (.), Osnove učinske elektronike - Simulacijsko modeliranje, Graphis
Erickson (2013.), Fundamentals of Power Electronics, Springer Science and Business Media
Tudor Volkov (2015.), Fundamentals of Power Electronics
Online education during epidemiological measures
- Study program duration
- 6 semesters (3 years)
- Semester duration
- 15 weeks of active teaching + 5 examination weeks
- Total number of ECTS points
- Bacc.ing.comp (Bachelor of Science in Computing)
Minimal learning outcomes
- Analyze the operation of power electronic converters by conversion type
- Define basic types of electronic energy conversion
- Classify electronic power converters
- Compare the features and performance characteristics of power semiconductor devices
- Analyze basic topology and functions of electronic power converters
- Compare the properties of different types of power electronic converters
- Analyze the complex system of a power converters and its basic components
- Analyze the negative effects of power electronic converters operation on the sources and loads
- Identify the characteristic examples of power electronics device application