- Class 30
- Practice 15
- Independent work 75
Design research and methodology
Lecturers and associates
The objective of this module is to enable students to:
• analyse and critically assess the characteristics and perspectives of design research and methodology
• plan and conduct research using the basic qualitative and quantitative social sciences methods
This is a compulsory module, which encourages students to apply research and methodology to the field of design and communications management. It prepares students for practical understanding of these processes and their stage ans with the necessary tools for creating a comprehensive research for a specific project.
In this module, students will develop the skills that will enable them to understand differences in design research and methodological approaches. Students will be competent to perform applied design research on their own, which will contribute to the overall skillset for their future practical work and employment.
1. Creswell, J. W. and Creswell. J. D. (2018) Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches.5th edn. [s.l.] SAGE Publications, Inc.
1. O’Grady, J.V. and O’Grady, K.V. (2017) A Designer's Research Manual, Updated and Expanded: Succeed in Design by Knowing Your Clients and Understanding what They Really Need. Essex: Rockport.
2. Brace, I. (2018) Questionnaire Design: How to Plan, Structure and Write Survey Material for Effective Market Research.4th edn. London: Kogan Page.
3. Marsh, S. (2018) User Research: A Practical Guide to Designing Better Products and Services. London: Kogan Page.
1. Burkholder, G. J. (eds.) Cox, K. A. (eds.), Crawford, L. M. (eds.) and Hitchcock, J. H. (eds.) (2019) Research design and methods: An applied guide for the scholar-practitioner.1st edn. SAGE Publications, Inc.
2. Muratovski, G. (2016) Research for designers: A guide to methods and practice. 1st edn. SAGE Publications, Inc.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Generalize research basic elements in design research.
- Classify the experimental and non-experimental quantitative methods in social sciences.
- Classify the qualitative methods in social sciences.
- Present your own research plan in design research.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Combine research basic elements in own design research.
- Plan a research using the experimental or non-experimental quantitative social sciences methods
- Plan a research using the qualitative social sciences methods
- Present your own research results in design research.