- Class 30
- Practice 15
- Independent work 45
Creativity and critical thinking
Lecturers and associates
The objective of this module is to enable students to:
• apply creative analytical techniques aimed at raising the level of their creativity and innovation in business environment
• apply basic concepts of critical thinking and logical reasoning aimed at reducing the impact of irrational and subjective reasoning, biases, fallacies, and heuristics in making inferences and business decisions.
Students will learn to clarify concepts and ideas, seek possibilities, consider alternatives and solve problems and supports students to develop a sophisticated understanding of the processes they can use whenever they encounter problems or come up with new ideas. Through learning about thinking and the practice of using thinking strategies, students will be more prepared to deal with all other modules of this study programme.
It is important for students to take this module in order to develop their logical and reasoning skills needed to generate and apply new ideas in specific contexts. The creative analytical techniques that students learn in this module will contribute to the overall skillset for their future employment through:
recognising or developing arguments,
using evidence in support of those arguments,
drawing reasoned conclusions, and
using information to solve business problems in a new and constructive way.
1. Michalko, M. (2006) Thinkertoys A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques.2nd edn. [s.l.] Ten Speed Press.
1. Paul, R. and Elder, L. (2013) Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life.2nd edn. [s.l.] Ft Pr.
2. Damer, E. T. (2008) Attacking Faulty Reasoning: A Practical Guide to Fallacy-Free Argument.6th edn. [s.l.] Wadsworth Publishing.
1. Seelig, T. (2015) inGenius A Crash Course on Creativity. [s.l] HarperOne
2. Higgins, J. M. (2005) 101 Creative Problem Solving Techniques: The Handbook of New Ideas for Business. [s.l.] New Management Pub Co.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Critically assess instinctive mental features.
- Recommend ways of solving business problems using structured creativity techniques.
- Recommend ways of solving business problems using unstructured creativity techniques.
- Compare various types of logical reasoning.
- Evaluate the methodological framework for analysis and critique.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Evaluate reasons for applying creative thinking techniques.
- Critically assess application of structured creativity techniques in solving business problems.
- Critically assess application of unstructured creativity techniques in solving business problems.
- Assess validity and soundness of arguments, and the strength of conclusions
- Critically asses the critical thinking concept.