- Class 15
- Practice 30
- Independent work 75
Intro to DevOps
Lecturers and associates
Students will learn how to implement principles such as:
• Using containers and container images as replacement for virtual machines for specific scenarios
• Deploying single-tier and multi-tier applications by using containers and container orchestration platforms like OpenShift and Kubernetes
• Toubleshooting application delivery by using containers
This module is important to support student's understanding and ability to implement containers for delivering applications. It introduces students to management of containers and container images, and how to use them to design application delivery methods by using underlying infrastructure. It will also introduce students to more advanced topics of container orchestration and how to use container orchestration for large-scale container-based environments.
This module enables students to implement and maintain container-based infrastructure in a modern, cloud-based world (e.g. for enterprise companies, or startup companies delivering web-based solutions).
1. Gutterman, Z., Kloepp D., Ramirez Ronco E., Sola Alaball J., Allred R. (2019), Introduction to Containers, Kubernetes and Red Hat OpenShift [s.l.] Red Hat.
1. Poulton, N. (2020). Docker Deep Dive [s.l.] [s.n.]. Independently published.
1. Poulton, N. (2021). The Kubernetes Book [s.l.] [s.n.]. Independently published.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Assess the justification for the use of containers and container services.
- Critically evaluate ways of managing container images and create container images.
- Design accelerated application delivery using containers, network architecture, and component security.
- Propose an appropriate methodology for accelerated delivery of multilayer applications using containers.
- Analyse different ways to solve problems with application shipping by using containers.
- Critically evaluate the use of selected container orchestration systems.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Compare the use of containers and container services vs virtual machines.
- Suggest options for managing container images and create container images.
- Evaluate advantages of accelerated application delivery using containers, network architecture, and component security.
- Justify an appropriate methodology for accelerated delivery of multilayer applications using containers.
- Recommend different ways to solve problems with application shipping by using containers.
- Defend stance for the use of selected container orchestration systems.