Multiculturalism and Identity
- Class 15
- Practice 15
- Independent work 135
Multiculturalism and Identity
Lecturers and associates
The aim of the course is to introduce students to the basic characteristics and trends of the areas of multiculturalism and identity in a contemporary society under the influence of a particular social context and change in the processes of globalisation of the whole social life.
The course content presents some of the fundamental sociological considerations of the area of multiculturalism and identity through conceptual framework, typologies and theories. In addition, it considers the definition of the term, the circumstances of occurrence and some of the topics related to the area of multiculturalism (understanding of culture, ethnicity, ethnocentrism, identity and religion).
Mesić, M (2007) Multikulturalizam: društveni i teorijski izazovi. Zagreb: Školska knjiga. Selected chapters: 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17.
Haralambos, M. i Holborn, M. (2002) Sociologija: Teme i perspektive. Zagreb: Golden marketing. Selected chapters: 12.
Giddens, A., Sutton, P. (2017). Essential Concepts in Sociology. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Polity Press. Selected chapters: 43.
Sloan, L. M., Joyner, M. C., Stakeman, C. J., Schmitz, C. L. (2018) Critical Multiculturalism and Intersectionality in a Complex World. SECOND EDITION. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Murdock, E. (2016) Multiculturalism, Identity and Difference: Experiences of Culture Contact. London: Palgrave Macmilan. Selected chapters: 1 (1. subsection: International Scope), 3, 7.
Professional Master of Creative Market Communications Management
Minimal learning outcomes
- Define basic concepts and features in sociological consideration of multiculturalism and identity at the basic level.
- Identify and describe the emergence of ideas of multiculturalism and identity politics.
- Point to the basic importance of multiculturalism and identity at the society level.
- Consider the influence of socio-political context on the occurrence and manifestation of diverse multiculturalisms and identities.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Define basic concepts and features in sociological consideration of multiculturalism and identity at a broader level.
- Identify, describe and consider the emergence of ideas of multiculturalism and identity politics.
- Point to the broader importance of multiculturalism and identity at the society level.
- Explain the influence of socio-political context on the occurrence and manifestation of diverse multiculturalisms and identities.
Why is Algebra a safe choice for your future?
Here you will learn all about information technologies and prepare for a career that is constantly in demand. We offer you a platform for personal growth that makes you a prime target for employers.
We refuse to stand still in a rapidly changing world. Our programs stay relevant and keep up with modern trends.
We take pride in numerous accolades and our title of The best professional study program in Croatia and constantly strive to justify that trust. We do not take our task lightly, knowing that your future depends on it.