- Class 30
- Practice 30
- Independent work 60
Lecturers and associates
This module introduces students to fundamental design thinking philosophy.
The objectives of this module are to enable students to:
• critically assess the design thinking methodology,
• research and understand the unique needs of a company around specific challenges,
• build empathy for target audiences,
• apply design thinking as a problem solving technique,
• create physical prototypes / a visual representation of an idea.
The module teaches how to develop design thinking mind-set and develop the willingness to take a risk and the ability to deal with failure. Students develop a strong understanding of the Design Process and how it can be applied in a variety of business settings
This module prepares students to be problem solvers and it will contribute to students’ development as practitioners and professionals.
1. Ideo.org (2015) The Field Guide to Human-Centered Design, 1st edn, [s.l.]: Ideo.org
2. IDEO (2021) Design Kit [Online]. Available at: https://www.designkit.org/ (Accessed: 13 May 2021)
3. Ideo.org (2021) Ideo.org [Online]. Available at: https://www.ideo.org/ (Accessed: 13 May 2021)
1. Brown, T. (2009) Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation, New York, NY: HarperBusiness
2. Kelley, T. and Kelley, D. (2013) Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential WIhtin Us All, Redfern, NSW: Currency
3. Kelley, T. and Littman, J. (2001) The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm, 1st edn, Redfern, NSW: Currency
1. IDEO (2021) Design Thinking Resources [Online]. Available at: https://designthinking.ideo.com/resources (Accessed: 13 May 2021)
2. Frog (2021) Design Thinking Collective Action Toolkit [Online]. Available at: https://www.frogdesign.com/designmind/collective-action-toolkit-empowering-communities (Accessed: 13 May 2021)
Minimal learning outcomes
- Critically assess the problem form design thinking perspective.
- Create design thinking framework and concept for solving specific business problem.
- Recommend appropriate design thinking approach for solving business problem.
- Evaluate solutions applying various design thinking implementation methodologies.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Evaluate the requirements and impact of design thinking in specific business case.
- Critically assess team roles and mind set and propose appropriate course of action for applying the design thinking framework.
- Plan, manage and conduct the design thinking methodology for solving business problem.
- Devise an innovative solution and apply it in practice.