- Class 6
- Practice 9
- Independent work 165
Innovative project 2 - Product or services development
Lecturers and associates
The aim of the module is to follow the product/service development plan set during the previous module, Innovative Project 1; using the Scrum or other appropriate methodology, teams will break their work into goals that can be completed within time-boxed iterations (sprints) the length of which is two weeks.
In a series of sprint reviews with their mentors, teams will showcase the work they have done and perform sprint retrospective, so as to ensure continuous improvement. They will learn to differentiate between developing features for a PoC, MVP and a fully developed product. Following the lean approach to innovation development, they will test the features developed with their customer segment in a continuous communication cycle. If it proves necessary, they will be taught how to pivot: when is the point to persevere to overcome and obstacle, and when the obstacle becomes a debilitating feature that has to be side-lined, rather than confronted head on.
Parallel to the service development, students will work on the sales and marketing strategy of their product launch. They will learn to differentiate between various types of users and how to target and motivate the early adopters. They will understand what traction means and how to achieve it. At this stage, they will also learn about starting their own company and/or starting a new service/product line in an established company.
1. Ries, E. (2011) Lean Startup. 1st edn. New York City: Crown Publishing.
1. Trott, P. (2016) Innovation Management and New Product Development. 6th edn. Edinburgh Gate: Pearson.
2. Christensen, C. (2016) The Innovator’s Dilemma. Kindle edn. Boston: Harvard Business Review.
3. Wunkler S, Wattman, J. and Farber, D. (2016) Jobs to be Done. Illustrated edn. Broadway: Amacom.
2. Kim C. (2015) Blue Ocean Strategy. Revised edn. Boston: Harvard Business Review.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Implement development plan in order to produce digital product / service.
- Critically evaluate use of tools and techniques for problem solving in team environment, applied to innovative solution.
- Implement and design technical documentation supporting use of tools and methods selected to implement innovative solution in line with plan.
- Develop sales and marketing strategy for innovative solution.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Implement best practices approaches while implementing development plan and producing digital product / service.
- Use best practices scenarios while applying tools and techniques for problem solving in team environment to innovative solution being developed.
- Use best practices approaches while implementing and designing technical documentation supporting use of tools and methods selected to implement innovative solution.
- Use best practices approaches while developing sales and marketing strategy for innovative solution.