- Class 30
- Practice 30
- Independent work 90
Management and Leadership
Lecturers and associates
This module introduces students to the fundamentals of management and various leadership theories.
The objectives of this module are to enable students to:
• analyse external and internal environment of the organization,
• critically assess the main management functions,
• recommend the appropriate leadership style in a given business situation, and
• evaluate trends and challenges in global business management.
The module teaches students the key concepts and functions of management (planning, organizing, staffing, leading and controlling) and presents the dynamics and challenges of leading organizations and people in the digital economy and the global environment.
It is important for students to take this module because understanding the elements and processes of management will enable them to find solutions for organizational challenges and make better business decisions.
Transferable skills acquired through this module will make an excellent addition to the core marketing skills developed through other modules and they will contribute significantly to students’ development as complete business professionals. This module prepares students to enter corporate world or start their own business of any kind.
1. Robbins, S.P. and Coulter, M.A. (2021) Management. 15th edn. Harlow: Pearson Education.
1. Yukl, G.A. and Gardner, W.L. (2020) Leadership in Organizations. 9th edn. Harlow: Pearson Education.
2. Christensen, C.M. 'How Will You Measure Your Life?', Harvard Business Review, 88(7-8), pp. 46–51.
3. Goleman, D. 'Leadership That Gets Results', Harvard Business Review, 78(2), pp. 78-90.
1. Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management, ISSN: 00014273
2. Leadership Quarterly, Elsevier Inc., ISSN: 10489843
3. LinkedIn (2021) Leadership and management: tips, how-to's and success stories [Online], Available at: https://www.linkedin.com/business/learning/blog/leadership-and-management (Accessed: 7 May, 2021)
Minimal learning outcomes
- Analyse the internal and external environment of the organization and critically valorise the role and functions of management.
- Analyse the stages of the planning process and compare types of plans and planning tools.
- Compare different organizational structures and determine their advantages and disadvantages.
- Analyse the functions of human resources management and compare different leadership theories and styles.
- Argue the importance of control in ensuring the achievement of organizational goals and compare different levels and types of control.
- Evaluate opportunities in the international environment and defend the need for managing diversity, change and social responsibility.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Assess the impact of management theories on existing management practice.
- Choose the appropriate planning method and propose the appropriate course of action for meeting the objectives.
- Assess external and internal factors that influence the design of an organization’s structure and recommend an appropriate solution.
- Critically assess the role and importance of human resources management and leadership as management functions.
- Recommend appropriate methods for measuring and correcting performance.
- Critically assess current trends and challenges in global business management.