- Class 30
- Practice 30
- Independent work 90
Principles of sales and negotiation
Lecturers and associates
The aim of the module is to provide students with the insights into theoretical models and concepts of sales and negotiation. Students will learn to:
• critically assess and evaluate different stages of sales process,
• apply relationship management and partnering techniques with customers,
• recommend the application of adequate negotiation techniques.
This module extends and expands students’ marketing expertise and builds on marketing concepts taught in other marketing modules. The module provides students with practical aspects of sales and negotiations through both didactic and experiential learning, and will learn how to address challenges that sales professionals face.
This module is delivered as a combination of traditional lectures and problem-solving assignments, together with the group project based on the sales management simulation. It is important for students to take this module to develop essential skills and extend knowledge related to sales and negotiations, in order to improve their overall marketing skillset.
1. Ingram, T. N., LaForge, R. W. et al. (2020) Sell, 6th ed. Boston: Cengage.
1. Weiss, J. (2020) The Book of Real–World Negotiations: Successful Strategies From Business, Government, and Daily Life. Haboken: John Wiley and Sons.
1. Jobber, Lancaster and Le Meunier-Fitzhugh (2019) Selling and Sales Management, 11th ed. Harlow: Pearson.
2. Hughes, T. and Reynolds, M. (2020) Social Selling: Techniques to Influence Buyers and Changemakers. London: Kogan Page.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Assess the importance of individual phases of the sales process.
- Evaluate the elements of the prospecting and potential customer qualifying process.
- Determine the role of sales techniques and skills in the context of sales presentation, sales closing and complaint handling.
- Argue the role and importance of the after-sales customer service in the context of developing long-term relationships and loyalty.
- Review the role of specific negotiation techniques in the context of sales negotiations and the process of establishing a relationship with a potential buyer.
- Recommend guidelines for the efficient sales management.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Critically evaluate the phases of the sales process and the role of personal selling within the marketing context.
- Select the criteria and related techniques required in the process of finding and qualifying potential customers.
- Choose adequate sales techniques that will ensure the success of sales staff in the context of sales presentation, sales conclusion and handling of complaints.
- Critically assess the importance of individual steps of the sales process and sales techniques on customer relations in the context of after-sales service.
- Recommend the application of adequate negotiation techniques in the context of sales negotiation and establishing a relationship with a potential buyer.
- Critically analyse the suitability of individual elements of the sales management process within the corporate context.