- Class 15
- Practice 30
- Independent work 105
Application of virtual and expanded reality
Lecturers and associates
This module introduces students to virtual reality and augmented reality game programming techniques, frameworks, and ways of thinking.
This module is not core to the Game Development subspecialisation, but a part of an optional module group that specializes in providing deeper programming knowledge and skills. It uses skills and knowledge gained in four previous modules from the same group. Skills learned in this module will contribute significantly to students’ development as professionals in respected fields.
Students will learn:
• About VR and AR physical concepts and hardware.
• How to create VR world and implement VR-specific mechanics.
• How to create AR world and implement AR-specific mechanics.
• How to add special effects to VR and AR games.
The module is taught in C
programming language and Unity and Visual Studio software development tools. The module assessment is based on individual student game development projects.
1. Papagiannis, H. (2017) Augmented Human: How Technology Is Shaping the New Reality. Sebastopol: O'Reilly Media.
1. Glover, J. and Linowes, J. (2019) Complete Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality Development with Unity: Leverage the power of Unity and become a pro at creating mixed reality applications. Birmingham: Packt Publishing.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Implement movement algorithms in virtual reality game.
- Create a simple prototype virtual reality game.
- Recommend and use software frameworks when creating an augmented reality game.
- Suggest and use special effects in augmented reality game.
- Create a prototype of an augmented reality game.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Implement movement algorithms in virtual reality game while avoiding obstacles.
- Create a simple prototype virtual reality game with environment effects.
- Recommend and use minimal set of software frameworks when creating an augmented reality game.
- Suggest and use a linear sequence of special effects in augmented reality game.
- Create a prototype of an augmented reality game with all GUI components.