- Class 15
- Practice 30
- Independent work 105
Advanced mobile programming
Lecturers and associates
This module introduces students to advanced concepts of mobile services and interfaces and to advanced, intrinsic, and third-party Kotlin libraries used to create more scalable and robust mobile applications.
This module is intended for students who already have the knowledge and skills to design and create mobile applications and want to build on that. Skills learned in this module will contribute significantly to students’ development as professionals in respected fields.
Students will learn:
• About separation of concerns, by using clean architecture and standardized Android Jetpack components.
• How to use MVVM (Model-View-ViewModel) design pattern in order to provide a stable entry point for test-driven development.
• How to implement navigation with emphasis on configuration and not on coding.
• About persistence and its implementation using the desirable ORM framework which works seamlessly clean and secure.
The module is taught in Kotlin programming language. The module assessment is based on individual student projects. In these projects, students must create mobile applications to the given specifications.
1. Jemerov D. and Isakova S. (2017) Kotlin in Action. 1st edn. Shelter Island: Manning Publications. ISBN 978-1617293290
2. Phillips B. et al (2019) Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide. 1st edn. Atlanta: The Big Nerd Ranch Guides.
1. Leiva A. and Gardner B. (2016) Kotlin for Android Developers: Learn Kotlin the easy way while developing an Android App. 1st edn. Scotts Valley: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.
1. Skeen J. and Greenhalgh, D. (2018) Kotlin Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide. 1st edn. Atlanta: The Big Nerd Ranch Guides.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Acquire knowledge about the specifics of different platforms and devices, and develop an application that uses them well.
- Critically evaluate individual patterns of mobile application architecture, propose and develop the most appropriate ones.
- Analyse, recommend and develop different types of data animation and presentation for the purpose of superior user experience.
- Evaluate and develop advanced graphical interface elements in order to adapt to the needs of the application.
- Explore, recommend and use embedded and external programming frameworks in solving advanced mobile ecosystem problems.
- Identify the need for advanced use of databases on mobile platforms and develop a solution.
- Implement asynchronous communication with various services on the Internet.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Take advantage of the specifics of different platforms and devices to improve the user experience, when implementing the application.
- Use advanced forms of mobile application architecture when implementing the application.
- When implementing the application, develop your own animations to improve the user experience.
- Develop your own advanced GUI elements to adapt to the needs of the application.
- When implementing the application, develop own program frameworks.
- When implementing an application that uses a database, use advanced elements of object-relational mapping.
- Use advanced mechanisms of asynchronous communication, when implementing the application.