- Class 15
- Practice 45
- Independent work 30
Business continuity and disaster recovery
Lecturers and associates
This module teaches students how to develop enterprise-wide business continuity and
disaster recovery plans.
This module is designed to provide students with the skills needed to understand the methods in identifying vulnerabilities and taking appropriate countermeasures to prevent and mitigate failure or risks for an organization.
Students will learn about:
• disaster recovery principles
• conducting business impact analysis
• assessing of risks
• preparation of a disaster recovery plan
• assessment of risks in the enterprise
• development of policies and procedures
• understanding of the roles and relationships of various members of an organization
• implementation of the plan
• disaster recovery for virtualization techniques
This module teaches students how to secure data by putting policies and procedures in place, and how to recover and restore their organization’s critical data in the aftermath of a disaster.
1. Snedaker, s., (2013): Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Planning for IT Professionals, Rockland: Synegress.
2. Kim, T., (2012). Computer Applications for Software Engineering, Disaster Recovery, and Business Continuity. Heidelberg: Springer.
1. Wallace, M. and Webber, L., (2017). The disaster recovery handbook: A step-by-step plan to ensure business continuity and protect vital operations, facilities, and assets. New York: Amacom.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Evaluate the different types of disasters
- Identify the stages involved in the recovery process
- Identify steps in disaster recovery plan
- Implement solutions for risk mitigation and protection of business in the event of disasters
- Examine the data backup mechanism and identify the technology or services needed to recover the data and system
- Evaluate the laws and acts related to business continuity
Preferred learning outcomes
- Analyse their consequences and effects of different type of disasters to an organization
- Assess the need for disaster recovery
- Design and document a disaster recovery plan to ensure the protection of organizational assets and operations
- Assess business risks, design risk management policies, identify a risk management team and implement solutions for risk mitigation and protection of business
- Design solution for data backup and recovery
- Analyse the impact of laws and regulatory requirements to business continuity