- Class 15
- Practice 30
- Independent work 105
Wireless computer networks 1
Lecturers and associates
This module introduces students to wireless concepts and their application in mobile 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G networks.
This module building on previous Embedded Platforms and Operating Systems and Sensors and Actuators modules and preparing students for Wireless Computer Networks 2 and Web Technologies for IoT modules in the same module group. Students who take this module group will gain knowledge and skills in software engineering for Internet of things, contributing significantly to students’ development as professionals in that field.
Students will learn:
• About electromagnetic waves and their properties and principles of radio signal propagation
• About multiple access methods and modulations and different radio signal transmission techniques
• About elements of GSM system architecture and features and about 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G concepts.
• How to measure aspects of radio waves.
• How to program 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G modems on the embedded platforms.
The module is taught on the selected embedded platform in C++ programming language. The module assessment is based on solving a series of smaller practical tasks and by solving an individual project task in the defined programming language.
1. Lea, P. (2018) Internet of Things for Architects: Architecting IoT solutions by implementing sensors, communication infrastructure, edge computing, analytics, and security. Birmingham: Packt Publishing.
1. Gay, W. (2018) Beginning STM32: Developing with FreeRTOS, libopencm3 and GCC. New York City: Apress.
1. Kim, H. (2020) Design and Optimization for 5G Wireless Communications (Wiley - IEEE). 1st edn. Hoboken: John Wiley and Sons.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Determine the effects of the principle of signal transmission on the air interface.
- Estimate the propagation of electromagnetic radiation based on carrier frequency, signal strength and environmental characteristics.
- Compare the architecture, basic concepts and characteristics of 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G WAN systems.
- Measure the coverage and quality of service and calculate the capacity in the WAN communication network.
- Create own software solution using an embedded computer and modem for a WAN communication network.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Determine the effects of the principle of signal transmission on the air interface and suggest effective methods to resolve the issues.
- Calculate the propagation of electromagnetic radiation based on carrier frequency, signal strength and environmental characteristics.
- Compare the architecture, basic concepts and characteristics and emphasize strengths and weaknesses of 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G WAN systems.
- Measure the coverage and quality of service, calculate the capacity and analyse the results in the WAN communication network.
- Create own complex software solution using an embedded computer and modem for a WAN communication network.