- Class 15
- Practice 15
- Independent work 60
Conceptual illustration 2
Lecturers and associates
The objective of this module is to enable students to learn the:
• conceptualization and illustration knowledge and skills of students further developing the student understanding of caricature and stylization
• acquisition of competencies from dynamic, positively oriented character development and artistic iteration towards this dynamic development
This module is optional to further enhance students to acquire components of the illustration, and conceptualization vertical in the programme. This module enables the creation of concept art that can be later used for creating 3D models, sculptures, or as a part of a rendering scene. The module is set up in a way that the students gain experience from real projects in the industry environment (in collaboration with various companies).
This module is project-based, with a high degree of individual artistic freedom and exploration. The subject and the medium in the module are given as part of the assignment and the students practice to make professional-level conceptual illustrations and exploration. Conceptual drawing and illustration is a vital tool for an artist to have in any context as it is a great and fast way to articulate creative taught and explore ideas. The projects in the module develop student’s confidence in their conceptualization and creative abilities and enhance their skillset vital to their further development.
1. [Anon.], 3D Total (ed.) (2018) Creating Stylized Characters, Worcester, 3D Total Publishing
1. [Anon.],3D Total (ed.) (2008 - 2016) Digital Painting Techniques: Volume 1-8, Worcester, 3D Total Publishing
2. [Anon.],3D Total (ed.) (2008 - 2016) Digital Art Masters: Volume 1-9, Worcester, 3D Total Publishing
3. [Anon.],3D Total (ed.) (2012) Illustrating Fairy Tales, [s.l.], 3D Total Publishing
Minimal learning outcomes
- Create your own artistic solutions where iterations show the process of abstracting artistic elements, experimenting with the relationships between elements and stylizing the artistic whole
- Create your own artistic solutions of illustrated subjects according to a brief and adapt the solutions in the process of visual exploration and feedback.
- Create your own artistic solutions of illustrated environments according to a mood-board and adapt the solutions in the process of visual exploration and feedback.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Elaborate and evaluate the decisions made in the process of stylization.
- Evaluate and elaborate specific artistic decisions made in the process of creating the illustrations according to a brief.
- Evaluate and elaborate specific artistic decisions made in the process of creating the illustrations according to a mood-board.