- Class 15
- Practice 15
- Independent work 60
Lecturers and associates
The objective of this module is to enable students to:
• understand the world of creative process, define and distinguish the concepts and ideas
• understand specific roles within the structure of a team of creative professionals, as well as their meaning in the broader context of market communications
Students will learn aspects and tools of creative communication, from conceptual design through copywriting to visualization, and prepares them for all visual communication modules that follow. Through analysing the most internationally famous and awarded work, they will adopt the basic knowledge and techniques of creative advertising and understand the comparative advantages of various types of advertising formats and media.
The module covers preliminary stages and methods of the creative thinking process from strategy through elaboration to production. Apart from the basic theoretical knowledge contained in lectures, the module is work-project-based; it requires successful completion of short practical assignments and homework, as well as active participation and discussions in classes, that provide students with insight into fundamental steps within creative projects. Students will gain confidence in creative technique methodology, strategic thinking, and integrated communication. The module includes topics related to recent and relevant events in the advertising scene.
1. Barry, P. (2016) The Advertising Concept Book: Think Now, Design Later. 3rd edn, London, Thames and Hudson
1. Arens, W.F. (2020) Contemporary Advertising. 16th edn, New York, McGraw-Hill Education
2. Pricken, M. (2010) Creative Strategies, London Thames and Hudson
1. Berger, W. (2004) Advertising Today, New York, Phaidon Press
2. Bowdery, R. (2008) Basics Advertising 01 – Copywriting. AVA, Lausanne, Publishing
Minimal learning outcomes
- Apply basic creative tools in a particular communication.
- Create original ideas for traditional media.
- Explain the basics principles of creative methodical thinking.
- Create original ideas for new media.
- Explain the basic structure of various media within a campaign.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Estimate and apply the advantages of different creative tools according to the communication message.
- Develop and evaluate relevant concepts and ideas for traditional media.
- Analyse the advantages of various creative tool, methods, and strategies.
- Develop and evaluate relevant concepts and ideas for new media.
- Analyse the creative potentials of various media within a campaign.