- Class 15
- Practice 30
- Independent work 75
Light and colour
Lecturers and associates
The objective of this module is to enable students to learn the:
• specific properties of light and colour are approached as art problems for which students look for adequate art solutions in various media
• creating conceptual art solutions for 3D modelling industry
This module teaches students to study the properties and types of light and colour, and artistic solutions to problems of light and colour. This module offers valuable complementary knowledge and insights to all other modules where problems of light and colour are present in the artworks being created. A wide range of problems concerning light and colour are being worked on in various art techniques and media traditional and digital alike. This module relates to the programme as a vital core for understanding 3D modelling in creative industries.
Students need to take this module to expose students to a wide variety of experiences concerting problems of light and colour vital to their development as artists. This module exposes students to not only analyse and recreate colour and light relations and situations but also presents methodologies of creating specific light and colour as part of creating conceptual art solutions contributing to the development of student’s creativity. This module develops knowledge and skills that are a part of an artist’s core skill set, especially important to individuals who favour figurative art, character creature conceptualization but also any art problems having to do with light or colour.
1. Gurney J. (2010) Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter, Kansas City, Missouri, Andrews McMeel Publishing
1. Wolfgang von Goethe J. (2016) Goethe's Theory of Colours (Illustrated Edition), Mineola, New York, Dover Publications
Minimal learning outcomes
- Create your own artistic solutions in the tonal and chiaroscuro image system that show an understanding of the issue of the relationship between light and form
- Create your own artistic solutions that show an understanding of the role of boundaries in a work of art
- Create your own artistic solutions in a colouristic image system that show an understanding of the problem of colour (mixing, properties, relationships, perception, etc.)
- Create your own artistic solutions in which you can clearly see the knowledge and understanding of the problems of relationships and various features of light, colour, form, border, surface, space, and material.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Analyse, judge, and argue their own artistic solutions to the problem of understanding the relationship between light and form
- Analyse, judge, and argue their own artistic solutions to the problem of understanding the role of boundaries in a work of art
- Analyse, judge, and argue their own artistic solutions to the problem of understanding colour (mixing, properties, relationships, perception, etc.)
- Critically judge, evaluate, argue, and compare various (own and other) artistic solutions to the problems they solve from the aspect of the role and realization of light and colour in a work of art