- Class 15
- Practice 30
- Independent work 75
Spatial visual communications design
Lecturers and associates
The objective of this module is to enable students to:
• design spatial and ambient projects
• understand various principles of environmental visual communications
This module teaches students to grow according to the part of the profession in which a large number of professionals are not yet involved. By placing the module in the final semester, students are able to apply the knowledge gained in previous modules (visual design, typography, signage design...) on the most tangible projects. The module forms vital core of the program as it combines advanced design rules.
It is important for students to take this module in order to gain knowledge about the peculiarities of work processes and methods of visual communication designers on spatial and ambient projects, as well as the peculiarities of materials and technology in the realization of visual means for communication and marking of space and public events. Students will understand the interrelationship of all skills acquired so far in previous modules and will initiate them in order to brand ambiences in the broadest sense. With an interdisciplinary approach and the inclusion of all acquired skills, the module can become not only the crown of study program, but also a future advantage in the employment market.
1. Locker, P. (2011) Basics Interior Design, Exhibition Design, Lausanne, AVA Publishing SA
1. Mesher, L. (2010) Basics Interior Design, Retail Design, Lausanne, AVA Publishing SA
2. Poulin, R. (2012) Graphic Design and Architecture, A 20th Century History A Guide to Type, Image, Symbol, and Visual Storytelling in the Modern World, Beverly, Rockport Publishers
Minimal learning outcomes
- Explain basic terms related to spatial visual communication design projects
- Use the basic rules of the profession when designing spatial visual communications
- Create a simpler system of spatial visual communications with the necessary mentoring.
- Explain the basic specifics of spatial visual communication projects with regard to location, theme and other contexts and features of exceptional projects.
- Create a more complex system of spatial visual communications with the necessary mentoring
Preferred learning outcomes
- Explain terms related to the typology and technology of spatial visual communication design projects and recognize their specifics
- Use the broadest rules of the profession and recognize their applicability in the real environment in the development of spatial visual communication projects
- Create independently a simpler system of spatial visual communications recognizing the specifics of a given context
- Analyse the basics of spatial visual communication projects related to location, topic and other contexts and relate them to the most significant projects.
- Create independently a more complex system of spatial and ambient visual communications through all stages, solving the conceptual and production aspects of the work process