- Class 30
- Practice 45
- Independent work 105
Development of 2D computer games 1
Lecturers and associates
The aim of this module is to teach students the basics of creating 2D computer games in Unity and Unreal Engine programming tools. Students will master the necessary basics that need to be known in order to develop a genre-free 2D computer game. Students will learn to use game engine interfaces for computer game development, learn basic manipulation of game objects, and use ready-made components. They will learn the basics of scripting in code and the basics of visual scripting and how to implement typical computer game mechanics.
This module provides computer game developers with the basic knowledge that represents the foundation needed to implement a computer game of any kind. Through the project approach, students will learn and go through all the basic stages of computer game development.
Students will learn:
• what are game engines for the development of computer games
• install and manage computer game development game engines
• basics of object transformation in 2D space
• interaction via input units: keyboard and mouse
• implement various interactions between computer game objects
• work with templates
• control the camera
• implement collision detection
• implement the physics of rigid bodies
• basics of scripting and creation of program logic of computer games
• basic principles of visual scripting
• basic principles of creating user interfaces in computer games
• implement typical computer game mechanics
• export a developed computer game
1. Bach J. (2020) Unity 2d game development: Beginner's Guide to 2D game development with Unity. 2nd edn. Independently published.
2. Fozi H., Marques G., Pereira D. and Sherry D. (2020) Game Development Projects with Unreal Engine: Learn to build your first games and bring your ideas to life using UE4 and C++. Packt Publishing.
1. Halpern J. (2018) Developing 2D Games with Unity: Independent Game Programming with C#. 1st edn. Apress.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Identify the basic stages of computer game development and support for them in software tools for computer game development.
- Create a simple prototype of a 2D computer game.
- Choose adequate components for implementing basic object interactions in a 2D computer game.
- Create programming scripts that will implement the basic mechanics of a 2D computer game.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Identify the basic stages of computer game development and their support in computer game development software tools using more advanced tool options.
- Create a more sophisticated prototype of a 2D computer game.
- Select and parameterize components to implement basic object interactions in a 2D computer game.
- Create programming scripts that will implement the basic mechanics of a 2D computer game and optimize their execution.