- Class 30
- Practice 45
- Independent work 135
Development of 3D computer games
Lecturers and associates
The aim of this module is to teach students the basics of creating 3D computer games. In this module, knowledge of managing the third dimension is added to the basic knowledge of creating 2D computer games. Students will learn to use 3D objects as basic objects from which characters and the world of a computer game are built. They will learn to create interaction between objects in 3D space and control the camera. They will learn to use a navigation network and create navigation agents to enable movement in a complex 3D space with obstacles. They will learn the basics of lighting and creating visual effects in 3D space as well as performance monitoring and how to optimize the performance of a computer game on several different devices.
This module is a natural extension of the knowledge and skills acquired in the courses "Making 2D computer games 1" and "Making 2D computer games 2". Every aspect learned in the previous modules is built on with the concept of implementation in 3D space. A computer game developer must know all the basic aspects of creating a computer game in 3D space, and this is exactly the knowledge he will acquire in this module.
Students will learn:
• implement basic movement mechanics in 3D space
• import 3D objects and manage animations in 3D space
• control the camera in 3D space
• create a navigation movement network and use navigation agents
• implement artificial intelligence of behavior in 3D space
• generate computer game levels
• create non-interactive animated video segments in computer games
• design lighting in 3D space
• monitor performance and optimize performance of computer games
1. Ferrone H. (2019) Learning C# by Developing Games with Unity 2019: Code in C# and build 3D games with Unity. 4th edn. Packt Publishing.
2. Fozi H., Marques G., Pereira D. and Sherry D. (2020) Game Development Projects with Unreal Engine: Learn to build your first games and bring your ideas to life using UE4 and C++. Packt Publishing.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Design different types of movement and interactions in 3D computer games.
- Combine 3D objects and animations in 3D space.
- Implement artificial intelligence algorithms for the purpose of modeling the behavior of 3D computer game characters.
- Integrate lighting and visual effects into 3D computer games.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Optimize different types of movement and interactions in 3D computer games.
- Combine animations in 3D space and optimize their performance in different situations.
- Create a behavior tree and implement more complex behavior logic of characters in a 3D computer game.
- Evaluate the algorithms of the program logic of a 3D computer game and optimize its performance.