- Class 0
- Practice 0
- Independent work 180
As well as completing the thesis students are required to undertake an internship as part of this module to learn to apply the theoretical and practical knowledge they have acquired during their study programme to a workplace setting.
Students must liaise with the Career Centre to organize their internship, and to confirm the tasks they will undertake while on internship that will comprise part of the formal assessment of the module.
The internship is organized using Infoeduka IT system that has a list of available internships and students select an employer and topic/technology they are interested in. With the help of the Career Centre, employers then select students and their internship topic is further supported by selected mentor (within the institution) so that relevant tasks are completed during the internship. Students have an employer mentor who at the end of the internship, report on the student’s achievements during the internship.
Students who are already employed and work on relevant projects/tasks are not required to undertake the Internship, but they need to submit a written report from the employer specifying their work and a self-reflective written report on their experience (same documents as would be required from students on Internship).
Students will learn:
• work in a team environment
• application of theoretical and practical knowledge and skills
• prepare a written report containing self-observations at the workplace
• compare the business procedures and practices of the employer with the standards and approaches of best practices learned during the studies.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Implement acquired skills and knowledge in order to solve problems and tasks given by the organization.
- Prepare detailed work placement self-reflective written report specifying new skills and knowledge as well as insights gained.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Reflect on standards and potential different approaches while implementing acquired skills and knowledge in order to solve problems and tasks given by the organization.
- Reflect on procedures and methods used by the organization and how they compare to best practices standards and approaches learned during the study while preparing detailed work placement self-reflective written report.