- Class 30
- Practice 30
- Independent work 90
Introduction to computer networks
Lecturers and associates
The aim of this module is to enable students to learn to understand how network communication is achieved, and how to implement a functional SOHO (Small Office Home Office) computer network.
This module is important to support students understanding of how to enable communication between devices in the network functions. For this purpose, the OSI model is used to explain all the necessary steps in establishing, maintaining, and closing the communication between devices in the network. This is the first module where students have the opportunity to use tools and commands to interact with other devices in the network and analyze network communication as well as use a network simulator to implement a functional SOHO (Small Office Home Office).
Students will learn:
• To recognize key elements of computer network architecture
• Terminology and technologies used in computer networks
• How to use referent models to explain communication in the network
• How to use tools for analyzing network traffic
• To create and address a scheme for a small network
• To choose equipment for a small network
• How to implement a small network in a network simulator
• To recognize network security features
• To recognize Wireless network communication role in modern network
1. Cisco (2021) Cisco Networking Academy module Introduction to Networks [Online]. Available at: www.netacad.com (Accessed: 21 April 2021)
1. Cisco (2020) Campus LAN and Wireless LAN Solution Design Guide [Online]. Available at: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Campus/cisco-campus-lan-wlan-design-guide.html (Accessed: 21 April 2021)
Minimal learning outcomes
- Define the role of computer network and network technologies.
- Analyze computer communication using software tools for network traffic analysis.
- Configure devices in a network topology with multiple subnets.
- Define the architecture and role of wireless communication networks.
- Define the role of cybersecurity in IT systems.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Choose network technologies according to business needs.
- Determine the state of communication using software tools for network traffic analysis.
- Create a functional network topology with multiple subnets.
- Compare different wireless technologies used today.
- Compare security threats with regards to impact severity to IT systems.