- Class 15
- Practice 30
- Independent work 45
Monetization of computer games
Lecturers and associates
The aim of this module is to familiarize students with monetization models and strategies for computer games on various platforms.
This module is a mandatory part of the degree program and provides a foundation for creating visible, well marketed and successfully monetized computer games. The skills acquired in this module will significantly contribute to the development of the student as a professional in the respective fields.
The knowledge check of the module is based on solving a series of small practical tasks and on individual student projects that aim to create monetization documents.
Students will learn:
• monetization models and strategies.
• advantages and disadvantages of game monetization
• characteristics of mobile and hyper casual games in the context of monetization
• about virtual items, prize boxes and/or boosters
• strategies for displaying ads and advertisements in the game.
1. Felicia, P. (2017) A Beginner's Guide to Web and Mobile Games with Unity: Create and publish simple web and mobile games. Scotts Valley: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.
1. Doran, J.P. (2020) Unity 2020 Mobile Game Development: Discover practical techniques and examples to create and deliver engaging games for Android and iOS. 2nd edn. Birmingham: Packt Publishing.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Recommend parts of the computer game suitable for monetization and suggest a monetization strategy.
- Create a system for purchasing and using virtual items, prize boxes, and/or boosters in a mobile game.
- Recommend and implement a mechanism for displaying ads and commercials in a mobile game.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Recommend the parts of the computer game suitable for monetization, suggest a monetization strategy and highlight the parts of the game most unsuitable for monetization.
- Create a complex system for purchasing and using virtual items, prize boxes, and/or boosters in a mobile game and connect them to the app store.
- Design and implement an unobtrusive system to display ads and on-demand advertisements and provide fallback if no ads or network are available.