- Class 15
- Practice 0
- Independent work 165
Team development of a computer game 1
Lecturers and associates
This is the first module in a series of three interconnected modules aimed at enabling students to create a prototype of their own computer game in a team environment. The aim of the first module is to plan the creation of a computer game.
This is a central module within the study program as it synthesizes the skills acquired by attending modules in previous semesters and helps students to master the application of acquired skills in a larger team project and to learn to work, communicate and collaborate effectively in a team. Acquired skills significantly contribute to the professional development of students in related professional fields.
Students can use any game engine to create computer games. While working on the project, students use modern tools for communication and collaboration such as Teams, Discord, Git, Jira, Trello and similar.
Students will learn:
• use market research to shape the concept of a computer game
• design a solution for a future computer game
• give your own and evaluate other people's ideas
• communicate effectively with other team members
• create a computer game development plan.
1. Bateman, C. and Boon, R. (2005) 21st Century Game Design. 1st edn. Newton: Charles River Media.
1. DeMaria, R. and Wilson, J.L. (2002) High Score!: The illustrated history of electronic games. New York City: Osborne/McGraw-Hill.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Recommend a computer game concept for a target group of users using market research.
- Design the solution of the future computer game.
- Evaluate the creative ideas of team members in order to gain new knowledge about team dynamics and teamwork.
- Create a development plan for a computer game.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Use best practices and approaches in market research and game development, recommending a game concept for a target user group.
- Apply best practices in designing future computer game solutions.
- Apply best practice techniques and approaches to foster team spirit and efficiency in the ideation and creative process.
- Apply best practices when creating a computer game development plan.