- Class 30
- Practice 30
- Independent work 120
Lecturers and associates
This module introduces students to advanced programming techniques applied to PHP programming language and MySQL relational database management system, in context of web applications development.
This module is core to the Multimedia Computing programme of study and it builds on skills and knowledge gained in Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming module. Skills learnt in this module will contribute significantly to students’ development as professionals in respecting fields.
Students will learn:
• How to apply PHP to produce a dynamic HTML page.
• How to organize program code to increase the efficiency of program execution of a website.
• About processing web forms.
• About using relational database management system from PHP code.
• How to design and create a content management system for the website.
The module is taught in PHP programming language. The module assessment is based on solving a series of smaller practical tasks in the defined programming language and software development tool and on individual student projects. In these projects, students must create PHP web applications to the given specifications.
1. Lerdorf, R., Tatroe, K. and MacIntyre, P. (2006) Programming PHP. 2nd edn. Sebastopol: O'Reilly Media.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Combine the basics of the programming language programming elements into a dynamic HTML page.
- Organize web content into a container.
- Organize program code to increase the efficiency of program execution of a website.
- Combine HTML elements in a web form and program code for entering data in the construction of a website.
- Design basic SQL language commands for writing, retrieving, modifying, and deleting data in a website environment.
- Design a content management system for the website.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Write the optimal program code for generating web content.
- Recommend an appropriate container structure for storing information in a website and create a solution.
- Anticipate all the necessary organizational structures of the program code when solving a given problem.
- Recommend the correct HTML form for uploading files to the server and the appropriate program code and create a solution.
- Combine functions and methods for working with a database in software solutions.
- Create a content management system on the website.