- Class 15
- Practice 45
- Independent work 90
Creation postproduction and optimization of raster images
Lecturers and associates
This module introduces students to the fundamentals in visual storytelling through the manipulation of photographic media, raster images and vector graphics with the goal of visual change, change in visual messaging or atmosphere.
Students will learn about:
• Image manipulation processes and pipelines.
• Data format and bit-depth impact on postproduction and photomanipulation.
• Photophorensics and obstacles it presents.
• Destructive and non-destructive processing of raster images.
• Flexible workflow routine in image processing.
• Vector graphics creation and image integration.
• Raster image optimisation, use, and performance gaines e.g. game environment, web SEO and similar.
The module is taught through the integration of research, practical know-how and individual practical learning and problem solving. The module assessment is based on practical analysis and critical review in a form of a skill-based solution within given examples, on individual student projects, and homework with individual approach. Individual student project is based on an individual practical approach to visual storytelling solely through the workflow of photo manipulation, postprocessing and desired change in visual communication.
This module is a part of the media core of the study, actively taking students through graphics creation as well as manipulation of raster image data (photographic images or computer-generated images). Skills learnt in this module will contribute significantly to other subsequent media core modules.
1. Chavez, C. and Faulkner, A. (2021) Adobe Photoshop Classroom in a Book, [s.l.]: Adobe Press
2. Wood, B. (2021) Adobe Illustrator Classroom in a Book, [s.l.]: Adobe Press
1. Snider, L. (2021) Adobe Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC for Photographers Classroom in a Book, 1st edn, [s.l.]: Adobe Press
2. Hogan, C. L. (2017) Optimizing images. 1st edition. Sebastopol, CA: O'Reily Media
Minimal learning outcomes
- Create vector graphics within the standards of quality that support all applications.
- Create a seamless raster image while applying the most adequate option for retouching and correction of raster image.
- Self-assess the appropriate materials and create a photomontage taking the given example as a guide to creation.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Create vector graphics within the standards of quality that support all applications. Judge their value of use in visual communications and defend the choice.
- Create a seamless raster image while applying the most adequate option for retouching and correction of raster image while supporting the possibility of further improvements and flexibility within the working process.
- Self-assess the appropriate materials and create a photo montage taking the given example as a guide to creation. Support non-destructive postproduction and branched out structure within the layer structure making it ready for additional changes.