- Class 30
- Practice 45
- Independent work 105
Java programming 1
Lecturers and associates
This module introduces students to Java programming language and the best practices in object-oriented and functional paradigms.
This module is core to Software Engineering subspecialisation and provides students with Java programming skills and is the foundation for more advanced Java-related modules in the following semesters.
Students will learn:
• the specifics of Java programming language in object-oriented and functional paradigms.
• how to structure Java application by using loose coupling and simple design patterns.
• how to implement persistence layer.
• GUI programming in Java.
The module is taught in Java. The module assessment is based on individual student projects. In these projects, students must create Java application to the given specifications.
1. Horstmann, C. (2020) Core Java Volume I - Fundamentals. 11th edn. London: Pearson.
1. Schildt, H. (2019) Java: The Complete Reference. 11th edn. New York City: McGraw-Hill Education.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Implement the basic concepts of object-oriented paradigm in object-oriented programming language on a virtual platform.
- Apply a functional paradigm and evaluate it in relation to an object-oriented paradigm.
- Identify the need to use the collection framework and flows and implement them according to best practices.
- Compare and evaluate the traditional and modern way of working with the data system.
- Apply appropriate libraries to design standard graphics software solutions.
- Apply appropriate libraries based on MVC architecture in designing standard graphical software solutions.
- Compare different approaches when creating graphic software solutions.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Implement advanced concepts of object-oriented paradigm in object-oriented programming language on a virtual platform.
- When implementing an application, select and apply an appropriate functional or object-oriented paradigm.
- When deploying the application, use advanced implementations of the collection framework and flows.
- Implement a modern way of working with the data system.
- Apply appropriate libraries to design advanced graphics software solutions.
- Apply appropriate libraries based on MVC architecture in the design of advanced graphics software solutions.
- Use advanced approaches when creating graphical software solutions.