- Class 15
- Practice 45
- Independent work 90
Object-oriented programming - lab in .NET environment
Lecturers and associates
This module introduces students to implementing desktop applications with the appropriate desktop application architecture.
This module is core to Software Engineering subspecialisation and provides the foundation for several programming modules that students of the Software Engineering subspecialisation will take in the following semesters. The knowledge, understanding and skills acquired in this module will contribute significantly to students’ development as professionals in the respective fields.
Students will learn the:
• Fundamentals of creating desktop applications,
• How to construct a desktop solution using standard and advanced components.
• How to implement an appropriate desktop application architecture.
• Recommended ways of improving and implementing modern user experience in desktop applications.
The module is taught in a .NET development environment using the C sharp programming language. The module assessment is based on individual student projects. In these projects, students must create desktop applications to the given specifications.
1. Beerbohm, M. (2019) Visual C#.NET: Windows Forms Programming with C#. Independently published.
2. Yuen, S. (2020) Mastering Windows Presentation Foundation: Build responsive UIs for desktop applications with WPF. 2nd edn. Birmingham: Packt Publishing.
1. Nathan, A. (2010) WPF 4: Unleashed. Carmel: Sams.
Minimal learning outcomes
- Construct a desktop solution using standard components.
- Recommend ways of improving and implementing user experience in desktop applications.
- Recommend ways of constructing and implementing the parent-child relationship in desktop applications.
- Implement an appropriate desktop application architecture.
- Apply animations for achieving better user experience in desktop applications.
Preferred learning outcomes
- Construct a desktop solution using advanced components.
- Ensure data storage and implement user interface desktop applications that will render based on the data storage.
- Achieve advanced implementation of the parent-child relationship in desktop applications for improving user experience.
- Implement a responsive desktop application by using appropriate architecture.
- Implement dynamic rendering of the user interface desktop application based on the retrieved data.